SiteGround is fast, secure and.has outstanding support.

Web Hosting

Friday, February 14, 2014

Removing the speckle: Critiques better left to the public

Removing the speckle: Critiques better left to the public

Winter’s Tale, the movie being released on Valentine’s Day nation-wide, was not based on Shakespeare’s play, but Mark Halprin’s book. Unlike the person who saw this movie but never read the book, all this hype about the movie made me want to read the book and watch the movie either by cable, incidentally Time Warner Cable was bought by Comcast, or by computer download on Amazon.com. Critics were everywhere, so my problems with them were somewhat justified.

The Bible said in Matthew 7:5 (KJV):

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

My  three biggest problems with critics were that they:

  • Thought their words carried a lot of weight. By panning something that they didn’t like, it might have kept box office receipts down. In all fairness, sometimes they were right. There weren’t too many movies unliked by me except perhaps Avatar and the movie version of  Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera
  • While the author of the review read by me did not read the book, this future reviewer wanted to read the original story and watch the movie so an accurate review was written. At least my reading the American version of Phantom of the Opera was read while watching all the movies. 
  • While everyone was entitled to their own opinions, that’s what reviews were. The final judge on whether the movie was good or bad should be left to the ticket buyer. It wouldn’t have been what the reviewer said about the movie that kept me away, but the price of the ticket. Movies had to have been good to have spent $8 just to have seen them. The last movie seen by me was The Butler last August, and that was during a matinee time.  

Watching the movie might have told me where Will Smith and Colin Farrell fit in this movie. My return was assured to have my own review written and have that issue answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers