SiteGround is fast, secure and.has outstanding support.

Web Hosting

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Judy Blume more than a children's author.

Most of the books written by Judy Blume were meant for my younger sister. My mother wanted her to read more, so she bought some age appropriate books for my sister. The first book I owned by her was: Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret? My aunt sent it to me with a note that I was “growing up”. It had a lot of teen issues in it, even though the characters in the book were pre-teens. I kept this book. Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing and Fudge had me laughing so hard. Fudge reminded me of Astrid Lindgren’s character Pippi Longstocking and her aversion to authority. Fudge was reprimanded for what he did though, while Pippi answered to no one.

My mother bought me two adult books written by Judy Blume for Christmas one year called Wifey and Smart Women. Those were read within the month because they flowed easily. Some of my church friends didn’t like these books because of the sex in them.When one has a relationship whether good or bad, sex becomes a part of it. These women were looking for fulfillment because they were bored with their marriages. Unfortunately, when one seeks things outside of what’s normal, consequences ensue, and both of the characters in these books faced consequences for their actions.

I especially like that I received a personal reply from Judy Blume in a typed e-mail in 2002 when I was taking an on line writing course from The Institute of Children’s Literature called “Writing For Children and Teenagers.” She, Judy Blume, said that she was surprised I could remember back that far. I was a freshman in high school when my mother bought Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing, which I read on the school bus while waiting for some of the junior high and elementary schools to let out. I have the reply printed out in a special folder. It became a brag with both my writer’s group and my Institute of Children’s Literary teacher.

The best reason why I like Judy Blume is because she has a wide range of outlets writing for children, teens, and adults. The diversity is why she is my favorite short story writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers